App & Game Development Friday, 7-14
In our final day of App and Game Development, students finished their final applications, and presented them! The imagination and variety of games from the class was truly astonishing. Students not only created games based on our tutorials, but games that went far beyond the simple applications they started with on Monday. It wouldn’t be surprising to see some of them be published one day! While there were difficulties along the way, every student created something they can call their own, and every student should be proud of what they’ve made. We hope you all have a good summer, and that we can see you again!
App & Game Development Thursday, 7-13
Today was an exciting day for our program; students started their own games from scratch! Having finished the tutorial series, students are using their knowledge of Construct 2 to create anything they want. From tower defense games, to Melee-esque fighter games, to card games, the programs being made are all quite interesting and completely of the students’ invention. Tomorrow students will be able to finish their projects, and present them to parents for the conclusion of our App and Game Development program!
App & Game Development 7-11
We continued our exploration into the Construct 2 development platform today! In the morning, students learned about sprites and events/actions by creating a virtual piano, which they were able to play. After the basics of Construct 2 had been mastered, our goal became to create a real video game. Students worked hard on a “Bubble Popping” game, which expanded on the basics of Construct 2 to create a fully fledged game that has sounds, scores, and lives!
Ask your student: What was the highest score you were able to get on your Bubble Popper?
App & Game Development 7/10
Today, we began our app and game development program! Students were introduced to the principles of software development, and the iterative design process. By designing, testing, and reshaping aluminum foil boats, we discovered how to record our goals, designs, and test results in order to improve an invention with each iteration. Additionally, students began working with the software development platform Construct 2, which they used to create their first programs!
Ask your student: How many pennies was your first boat able to hold? What about the second one?
Summer 2017 is Almost Here!
We are gearing up for summer 2017 and we are so excited to have all of you!
As we get closer to the start of our programs, here is some information that might be helpful to you.
- The program day begins at 8:30 a.m. and runs to 3:00 p.m. Morning drop-off/check in begins at 8:15 a.m. – and concludes at 8:30 a.m. Do NOT drop your child off prior to 8:15, as there will be so supervision available before this time.
- Monday morning check-in: On the first day of the program, it is mandatory for parents to park and walk their participant to the summer program staff for first-day check-in. Your child will be assigned to a group leader who will be their same leader throughout the week.
- Lunch is included in the program fee and provided through our food service, Sodexho. They offer many options for students, including burgers, macaroni and cheese, a salad bar, fresh fruit, and many other items. You may choose to send your child with a sack lunch if you prefer. Please note: the cafeteria is NOT a peanut free environment.
- Pick up is promptly at 3:00 PM. We do not provide extended care. Please be timely and prompt with drop off and pick up for the best and safest experience for every participant. Our personnel need to prepare for the next day after day programs end at 3:00 p.m.
- Late Pickup Fee: IMSA day programs end at 3 p.m. Any parent/guardian picking up a child late will be assessed a fee of $15 per child for any pickup 15 minutes late and $1 per minute thereafter. Late fees are due on the child’s next day of camp.
- Residential program check-in begins at 6:00 PM on the Sunday before the program start date. The entrance will change based on which dorms the students will be in. Please make note of this in your pre-program email!
- Please plan on arriving to pick up your child between 1:45-1:55 p.m. the following Friday(the last day of the program). There will be a 30 minute program presentation/wrap-up starting promptly at 2:00 pm.
- We do not honor requests to pair or group friends or relatives during their class during the day; however, they will have the opportunity to mingle during common activities such as lunch and free time. Program participants are grouped at random to encourage a positive learning experience, meeting new friends while engaging in program activities.
- We DO take requests for roommates. Friends or relatives (of the same gender) can be paired as roommates if both parties request each other by sending an email to us a email@example.com. Please include the program name and week offered, your child’s name, and the name of the child being requested as a roommate. We must receive this at least 10 days before the first date of your program to accommodate it.
- Your child will be assigned to a group leader who will be their same leader throughout the week.